Home Site Map Contact Us A A A

Natural Gas Project Background

The natural gas initiative is a partnership of the Municipality of Kincardine, the Township of Huron Kinloss and the Township of Arran Elderslie . The municipalities have been investigating the feasibility of developing a natural gas supply to the constituents of the municipalities. 

The three municipal partners have retained Mr. Mark Rodger, a senior partner at the law firm Borden Ladner Gervais,and a specialist in the energy and utility sectors. Mr. Rodger has been authorized to undertake a preliminary analysis of key elements that must be addressed prior to determining if the natural gas initiative should be pursued.

Those elements include:

  • Developing a document to lay out the terms of the municipal partnership
  • the legal authority available to the municipalities
  • the regulatory and approvals requirements
  • potential shareholder and governance issues
  • determining a preferred delivery option and whether a preliminary business case can be determined for that option and the development and execution of a public and stakeholder engagement and consultation process.

These are regarded as essential preliminary steps that must be taken to determine if a solid case can be made for extending natural gas service to this region. Key considerations in this regard are predicted loads (i.e. potential residential, commercial and industrial customers) and the anticipated cost for the service to householders and businesses.
Each of the key elements in this preliminary investigation would provide an opportunity to abandon the initiative or for a partner or partners to withdraw if deemed prudent and no decisions to proceed would be taken until all financial implications are understood and only after a full and complete community and stakeholder consultation process.

Contact Us

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax: 519-395-4107
Email: info@huronkinloss.com
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0

All documents found on our website are also available in hard copy by contacting the Municipal Office.