Point Clark Lighthouse
Point Clark Lighthouse - A National Historic Site
**Point Clark Lighthouse will be closed the 2013 season to continue restorations which were more extensive than first thought in order to preserve this valuable landmark**
For more lighthouse tours in the area, go to www.brucecoastlighthouses.com
Please see the right hand side for the press release & information from Parks Canada regarding the renovations. Have a look at the pictures to see the scope of the task and the progress of the renovations.
Being one of the first of the “Imperial Towers” to signal to sailors, and having marked its 150th Birthday in 2009, makes this beautiful historical structure a fantastic tourist destination. The Point Clark Lighthouse was built between 1855 and 1859 to warn sailors of the shoal about three kilometers offshore. Its elegant proportions and limestone exterior are typical of the six “imperial” towers built in the region, a lighthouse style rarely seen elsewhere in Canada. The 110-foot stone tower is topped by a 12-sided lantern framed in cast iron, with a domed roof. A bronze lion head at each angle of the eaves directs rainwater away from the tower. The light stands 87 feet from the base of the tower.
Although acquired by Parks Canada in 1967 to commemorate the vital role of lighthouses in navigation on the Great Lakes, it still serves its primary function - an aid to navigation. The lightkeeper’s dwelling, built at the same time as the lighthouse, is now operated as a museum by the Township of Huron-Kinloss.
The Point Clark Lighthouse is one of several in Bruce County. It was honoured to be one of six chosen across Canada by Canada Post to decorate a postage stamp in 2009. The Point Clark Lighthouse is located in Point Clark at the end of Lighthouse Road off of Huron Road. For more information about this and other lighthouses in the area, visit Bruce Coast Lighthouses
Open from Late June to Labour Day, 10am to 4:30pm daily. Open for groups by reservation in May and June. Admission and tours are available for a nominal fee.
For more information call (519) 395-2494 during open hours, or (519) 395-2909 for group reservations.
- 2011-August 08: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (200 KB)
- 2011-August 30: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (179 KB)
- 2011-July 18: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (178 KB)
- 2011-July 27: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (137 KB)
- 2011-June and July: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (187 KB)
- 2011-November 24: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (227 KB)
- 2011-October 05: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (202 KB)
- 2011-September 07: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (188 KB)
- 2011-September 09: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (130 KB)
- 2012-June 25: Point Clark Lighthouse Renovations (80 KB)
- Parks Canada Backgrounder (20 KB)
- Parks Canada Press Release (143 KB)
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0