Building Permits (New Homes, Renovations & Additions)

Due to the COVID-19 virus, we have implemented some changes to our municipal services. For up-to-date information about facility closures and impacts on municipal services, please visit the Township of Huron-Kinloss COVID-19 webpage.


What a building permit is:

A building permit is a license of sorts issued by the Building Department. The permit grants the owner or his/her authorized agent, legal permission to commence construction. Furthermore, the issuance of a building permit provides building officials with the means to enforce the requirements of the code and other applicable standards to ensure compliance.

Why a building permit is required:

Building permits are necessary to ensure zoning requirements (contained in municipal by-laws), and building safety standards (contained in the Ontario Building Code) are satisfied in order to maintain or improve the health, fire and structural standards for the general safety of the public. The Ontario Building Code is a provincial regulation administered by the Building and Development Branch of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Under the Building Code Act, local governments are given authority for the enforcement of the Ontario Building Code within their jurisdiction.

When a Building Permit is Required:

The Ontario Building Code Act requires a building permit for the following:

  • Any structure occupying an area greater than 108 sq. ft. that consists of a wall, roof or floor. All plumbing within or not within a structure, as well as any designated structure.
  • Any alteration to existing structures that affects the structural integrity, insulation, heating, mechanical or plumbing systems. Any alteration or erection of farm buildings, accessory buildings and swimming pools.
  • Any change of use to a structure must be evaluated by the Building department to determine if a building permit is required.
  • Demolition of all buildings and structures greater than 108 sq. ft. Farm buildings located on a farm are exempt.

Do I Require a Permit from Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority (SVCA)?

In 2006, Ontario Regulation 169/06 Development, Interference With Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses was passed.  This might be important to you.  For the features and areas subject to Ontario Regulation 169/06 permission from the SVCA is required before any person may; "undertake development, straighten, change, divert or interfere in any way with a watercourse, or change or interfere with a wetland".

Please see the documents entitled "Ontario Regulation 169/06"  and "Development, Interference & Alteration Regulations" in the Downloads section on the right hand of this screen for more detail about Ontario Regulation 169/06.  If you think you are in an area subject to this regulation, please contact the SVCA directly.  Their contact information is:
Address:  1078 Bruce Rd. 12, Box 150  Formosa, ON  N0G 1W0
Phone number:  519-367-3040

Types of Construction That Require a Permit:

  • Construct a new home
  • Add a Carport, Garage, or Rooms to an existing home
  • Install new rooms in the Basement or Attic
  • Any structural work including Interior Partitions
  • Add Dormers
  • Enclose a Porch – Roof over a Sun Deck
  • Structural Repairs or Renovations
  • Raise the house to provide a Full Basement or First Story
  • Excavate the Basement to provide a Full Basement
  • Add structural features such as Decks, Balconies, Canopies, Porches, etc.
  • Install an above or in-ground pool
  • Inquire regarding Change of Occupancy

Responsibilities of property owner regarding building permits:

It is the responsibility of the owner to obtain a building permit.   It is also their responsibility to ensure that the building permit is posted and the approved plans are kept on the job site.

When are building permits not required?

When you do non-structural work such as:

  • Painting
  • Landscaping, walkways, driveways
  • Kitchen cupboards
  • Siding
  • Shingling

Information required before a permit is issued:

Sufficient plans, specifications, documents and other information to the Chief Building Official to determine whether the proposed construction, demolition or change of use conforms to the Act and the Building Code.

  1. A set of working drawings in duplicate showing the method of construction and building.
  2. A site plan showing all proposed and existing building setback dimensions.
  3. An Ontario Land Surveyors drawing if applicable.
  4. Water and Hydro approval from the local Authority or the Ministry of Health if no Municipal services are available.
  5. Entrance approval on Municipal, County or Provincial Roads.
  6. Conservation Authority permits approval if applicable.
  7. Relief from the provisions of the Municipal By-Law (Committee of Adjustment) if applicable.
  8. Municipal approval to occupy street or sidewalk if required.

An Ontario Land Surveyors drawing is required for all residences in a residentially zoned area. A site plan referenced to a current plan of survey certified by a registered Ontario Land Surveyor or a copy of such survey shall be filed with the municipality unless this requirement is waived because the Chief Building Official is able, without having a current plan of survey, to determine whether the proposed work confirms to the Act, the Building Code, and any other applicable law.

The site plan will include:

  • Lot size and dimension of property
  • Setback from existing and proposed buildings to the property boundaries and to each other
  • Existing and finished ground level or grades
  • Existing right of way, easements and municipal services
  • A set of working drawings in duplicate showing the method of construction and building.

The Chief Building Official shall determine the number of plans, specifications, documents and other information required to be furnished with the application for permit having regard of the requirements of any Act, regulation or by-law respecting the examination or circulation of the application.

Obtaining a Building Permit

You will be required to complete and sign an Application Form which is available on-line or at the Township office at 21 Queen Street, Ripley. Site Plan and drawings must accompany the application and should include sufficient detail to show compliance with The Ontario Building Code, local zoning By-laws and all other applicable laws and regulations.

A fee, as described in The Township of Huron Kinloss’s Building Fees By-Law, will be charged and must be paid before the Permit can be released. Development Charges may be applicable. (See the Development Charges By-Law for details.)

Responsibilities when the Building Permit is received:

  • Post your Building Permit so it can be seen from the road
  • A copy of your approved Building Plans should be kept on the Construction site and available during inspection.

What to do if changes in the Building plans are required

If, during the course of construction, changes or modifications are made to the design submitted, the owner is responsible to make application to the Building Department. Drawings may be required.

Related Agencies:

Depending upon the location and type of constructions, other agencies may require permits or approvals as listed below:

Grey-Bruce Owen Sound Health Unit
101 17th Street East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 0A5

  • Septic Systems (new and alteration / change in use)
  • Approval for restaurant and assembly uses, liquor licence requests

Water Connections or Sanitary Sewers
Township of Huron Kinloss
21 Queen Street, Box 130
Ripley, ON N0G 2R0

Saugeen Valley Conservation Authority
1078 Bruce Rd. 12
Box 150
Formosa ON N0G 1W0


Maitland Valley Conservation Authority
1093 Marietta Street
Box 127
Wroxeter, ON N0G 2X0

  • Construction in or near environmentally zoned properties

Electrical Safety Authority
1-877-ESA-SAFE (372-7233)

  • All electrical wiring must be inspected by the electrical safety authority. Separate inspection applications (permits) must be filed. We recommend you use a qualified electrical contractor.

County of Bruce Planning Department
30 Park Street
Box 848
Walkerton, ON N0G 2V0

  • Severance / Consent applications
  • Zoning Amendment and / or Official Plan Amendment applications
  • Minor Variances

Ministry of Labour

  • Contact if you are contracting work on your property

Ministry of Transportation (Regional Office)
1-800-265-6072 or 1-800-268-4686

  • Contact if your property is on a provincial highway

Bruce County Highways
30 Park Street
Walkerton, ON N0G 2V0

  • Speak with them if your property abuts a county highway

Ministry of Natural Resources (Owen Sound Office)
1450 7th Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 2Z1

  • Building on or near a watercourse

Tarion Warranty (for new homes)
Contact the Centre Manager
5160 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2N 6L8
Fax: 1-877-664-9710 (or 416-229-3800)


Contact Us

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax: 519-395-4107
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0