Death Registrations & Certificates

Due to the COVID-19 virus, we have implemented some changes to our municipal services. For up-to-date information about facility closures and impacts on municipal services, please visit the Township of Huron-Kinloss COVID-19 webpage.


Death Registrations

Division Registrars, serve as agents for the ORG, they are responsible for the proper handling of vital event registrations documents relating to marriages, stillbirths and deaths.

Death registrations are a permanent, legal record of the death of an individual.

Death certificates or certified copies of a death registration are provided by the Office of the Registrar General for such purposes as:

  • settlement of estates
  • insurance
  • access to or termination of other government services (i.e., health card, pensions, voter's list)

Information from death registrations is also used for medical and health research, and for statistical purposes.

How to Register a Death

To register a death of someone, the Funeral Director usually completes the Statement of Death with information about the deceased. At the same time, the Physician or Coroner attending the death completes the Medical Certificate of Death. This contains the cause of death information and is given to the Funeral Director. Both forms are then forwarded to the Division Registrar of the municipality where the death occurred. After they are received and recorded by the municipality, they are forwarded to the Office of the Registrar General for registration.

If the death occurs in Ontario but the burial or other disposition is to take place outside of Ontario, the body cannot be removed until an Ontario burial permit is obtained. If the death occurs outside of Ontario but the burial or other disposition is to take place in Ontario, a burial, transit or removal permit is required from the jurisdiction where the death occurred.

How to Obtain a Death Certificate

Death Certificate Applications are available from the municipal office, online or through Service Ontario. A Death Certificate Application for a death occurring in Ontario and payment of the required fee (stated on application form) can be:

  1. Mailed to the Office of the Registrar General - P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8. Telephone: 1-800-461-2156
  2. Faxed to the Office of the Registrar General at 807-343-7459 provided payment is made by credit card.

How to Obtain Old Death Records

The Office of the Registrar General holds records for deaths that happened in Ontario during the past 70 years. For information on older records you should refer to the Archives of Ontario Website or the Vital Statistics hot line at 416-327-1593.

Government of Ontario Website

For additional information, please refer to the Service Ontario website.

Contact Us

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax: 519-395-4107
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0