The Township of Huron-Kinloss is considering establishing, by by-law, revised development charges to pay for capital costs required due to increased needs for services arising from development. The by-law may establish development charges against residential and non-residential development activities in the Township during the period of 2019-2024. This by-law would be passed under the statutory authority of the Development Charges Act, 1997 (DCA) as amended and its accompanying Regulations. It will replace the existing Development Charges by-law (By-law 2014- 105), passed on November 17, 2014.
Section 10 of the Act requires that a development charge background study be completed and specifies the contents of the study. Ontario Regulation 82/98, Section 8, as amended (O.Reg. 82/98) further defines the content of the study. This Development Charges Background Study (Background Study) has been prepared in order to provide Council with sufficient information to make a decision on the value of any development charge to adopt. This report includes the following major components:
• An outline of the framework for conducting the study;
• An overview of the local growth forecasts for residential and non-residential activities;
• A summary of growth-related projects and services;
• A synopsis of the methodology applied to establish a development charge;
• Asset management information for assets funded by the development charges;
• Presentation of the proposed development charge schedule; and
• Details on the process to implement a Development Charges By-law.
Development Charges Background Study