Marriage Licences

Due to the COVID-19 virus, we have implemented some changes to our municipal services. For up-to-date information about facility closures and impacts on municipal services, please visit the Township of Huron-Kinloss COVID-19 webpage.


A Marriage Licence is a required official permit that enables the couple to have a Marriage ceremony.  This is a prerequisite in obtaining an official Marriage Certificate from the Province.  The Township of Huron-Kinloss issues marriage licences that can be used to marry anywhere in Ontario. To obtain a marriage licence, an application form must be filled out and signed by both parties.  Please see the Marriage Licence Information Package for more details about the identification that you will be required to present to the Clerk.

If either of the applicants are divorced, the original certificate of divorce will be required to be presented to the Clerk.  If the prior marriage was outside of Canada, please contact the township office for the paperwork required and note that this can be a lengthy process.

A marriage licence is good for 90 days once issued.  The cost of the licence is listed in the Consolidated Fees By-Law.

If you would like to obtain a marriage licence from the Township of Huron-Kinloss, please contact the office (contact information on the right hand side) before coming out for times etc.

Please note that same sex marriages are recognized in Ontario.

Approximately three months after the marriage ceremony, you are advised to apply for a marriage certificate (see the documents available for download on the right hand side of your screen).  This paperwork is required for anyone wishing to assume the name of their current spouse, apply for pension and a variety of other reasons.  For more information about the marriage certificate, you may contact the Office of the Registrar General in Thunder Bay at 1-800-461-2156.


Contact Us

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax: 519-395-4107
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0