Street Sweets Art Exhibit
The Township of Huron-Kinloss is excited to announce plans for our first outdoor public art exhibit called “Street Sweets”!
The Gallery will be in the Township of Huron-Kinloss for the duration of the 2019 Ice Cream Trail™ from May 17th, 2019 to September 30, 2019 with plans to add to the exhibition each year.
“Street Sweets” will see 9 artists adding their art and craftwork to a three dimensional metal and urethane spray foam ice cream cone sculpture to create unique works of art. The “Street Sweets” will be unveiled on the opening day of the Ice Cream Trail™ on May 17, 2019.
The public is encouraged to vote on their favourite "Street Sweet" between May 17, 2019 and September 30th. More information about voting is to come. The winning artist will be announced mid-October along with the winner of the Ice Cream Trail™ grand prize.
Call to Artists
Artists who are interested in sculpting an ice cream cone are invited to fill out en entry form, which is available on the right side of this page and send this and your design:
By E-mail: email@example.com
Mail or Hand-Deliver:
Township of Huron-Kinloss
21 Queen St. Box. 130
Ripley, ON N0G 2R0
Entries must be received by 1:00p.m. on April 4, 2019. You may view the cone that you could potentially be working with at the Municipal Office during business hours. Selected artists will each recieve $300 to put towards supplies and a chance to win the People's Choice Award of $300.
Further Information for Artists:
- Artist must complete entry information on the form provided and their “Street Sweets” design
- Design submissions must be received by the Township of Huron-Kinloss by 4:00p.m. on March 22, 2019.
- The Economic Development Team will review all design entries.
- The artists of the chosen designs will be notified by April 5, 2019.
- Artists’ work on the “Street Sweets” will be completed by May 10th, 2019.
- The “Street Sweets” will be unveiled on May 17, 2019 where the public will begin to vote on their favourite sculptures. Voting will continue until September 30, 2019 and the people’s choice favourite artist will win $300, which will be announced mid-October.
- Each artist will be recognized on a plaque at the bottom of the cone
“Street Sweets” Entry/Design Information:
- “Street Sweets” is a public art exhibit that celebrates the Huron-Kinloss Ice Cream Trail™ and the many ice cream retailers we have in the Township. The starting point for artists is a 3- dimensional cone metal sculpture, approximately 4.5’ high X 26” wide (less than 100 lbs) with a urethane spray foam top which will be provided to the artists accepted into the project (see image below).
- Artists are asked to submit original and unique “Street Sweet” designs. Designs must be in colour and can be drawn, painted or copied and pasted on regular letter size paper. The designs will show the artwork, style and materials used on the ice cream. Artists can redraw flat, straight-on-view versions of the ice cream shape based on the image below.
- Artists may add or combine materials and media (paint, ink, carvings, mosaics, vinyl photo wraps etc.) to enhance their sculpture, and/or they can add 3-dimensional elements. Materials can include found or purchased objects, wood, plastic, welded metal, carvings, mosaics, vinyl wrap, treated fabric, plants etc.
- Dimensional restrictions: No higher than existing 6’ no wider than 30”.
- Artists must sign the disclaimer on the entry form.
- Logos or political, religious or sexual content are not permitted in the design.
- Designs must ensure public safety, (e.g. no sharp or dangerous objects) and be vandal-proof and weatherproof.
Entries will be reviewed by the Economic Team. The selection will be based on originality and technique. Successful applicants will be notified by April 5, 2019.
Technical note: It is wonderful to include elements that are interactive, or that the public can touch or move, but your creation must be Strong, Secure and Vandal-Proof. We do not want the designs to encourage people to climb them. Please give thought to this during the design process.