Minor Variances & Severances

Minor Variances & Severances

The Township of Huron Kinloss Zoning Bylaw, as amended, provides regulations for the use of land and construction of buildings. It is difficult for bylaw provisions to take into account all circumstances such as lot size, lot shapes or yard setbacks, that may affect the development of a particular property. In such cases, the property owner may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance to the Zoning Bylaw. The Committee of Adjustment is a Council-appointed committee regulated by Section 45 of the Ontario Planning Act. All members of Council comprise the Committee of Adjustment. The Committee of Adjustment will review the site specific circumstances regarding each application. The Committee then considers the following questions concerning an application before reaching a decision:

  • Is the variance minor in nature?
  • Is the general intent and purposes of the Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw maintained?
  • Is it desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure?

The Committee of Adjustment also has the authority to approve land severances. A land severance, also referred to as a consent, is the authorized separation of a piece of land to form two new properties. Consent to sever is required if a portion of land is to be sold, mortgaged, charged or is to form part of an agreement lasting more than 21 years. In addition to the division of land, the registration of rights-of-way, easements and any changes to existing property boundaries requires consent approval. Legislative provisions for consent applications are outlined in Section 53 of the Ontario Planning Act. The County of Bruce Agriculture Tourism & Planning Committee is the approval authority for land severances in the Township of Huron Kinloss.

Land severance approval is required to ensure that:

  • consents are considered within an established community planning framework,
  • new lots and new land uses do not conflict with the overall planning goals and policies of existing communities, and
  • consideration is given to the effect of the division of land on the site, on the neighbouring lands, and on the community as a whole.

To inquire about minor variances or land severance, please contact the County of Bruce Planning Department at 519-881-1782.

By-law 2007-69 governs the policies, procedures and conditions for the operation of the Committee of Adjustment.  It can be found on the right hand side of the page.

Contact Us

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax: 519-395-4107
Email: info@huronkinloss.com
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0