Wild Animals and Animal Control

What to do if you find a sick, injured or abandoned wild animal.

General tips

  • don't remove an animal from its natural habitat (the animal may not need assistance, and you could do more harm than good)
  • check the animal periodically for 24-48 hours
  • keep your distance

Young animals/babies

If you find an abandoned young animal, separated from adults or left on its own — keep cats and dogs away and limit noise.

An adult may not return if it is noisy or if predators or people are close by.

Get help for a wild animal

In Ontario, wildlife rehabilitators are authorized by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to provide temporary care to sick, injured and abandoned wildlife so it can be returned to the wild. Rehabilitators commit significant time and resources, and many solicit donations to assist with their work.

Every effort is made by wildlife rehabilitators to ensure wildlife in their care do not become tame.

Find a wildlife rehabilitator

To get help for a sick, injured or abandoned animal, you can contact:

Health risks

If you come across sick or diseased wildlife and you suspect there is a public health risk (such as rabies or West Nile virus) contact the Grey Bruce health unit immediately.

Grey Bruce Public Health Unit.

Public safety

If the animal is alive and there is a public safety issue, contact the South Bruce OPP at 1-888-310-1122.

Contact Us

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax: 519-395-4107
Email: info@huronkinloss.com
21 Queen Street, P.O. Box 130, Ripley ON N0G 2R0