Skip to main content Skip to footer

Council Highlights February 6th, 2023

The Township of Huron-Kinloss Committee of the Whole meeting was held in Council Chambers at 21 Queen Street in Ripley at 10:00 a.m.

Highlights from the meeting include:

Pine River Watershed Initiative Network Annual Report

The Pine River Watershed Initiative Network (PRWIN) presented their Annual Report on their 2022 In-ground Projects & Programming, Challenges & Opportunities. Since 2013, the PRWIN has invested over one million dollars in Huron-Kinloss on in-ground projects and programming to improve the habitat and water quality in the Pine River watershed. The not-for-profit organization requested financial support to ensure the future success of the PRWIN in 2023.

By-Law Enforcement

Feral Cat Populations

Council received a report by Huron-Kinloss By-Law Enforcement Officer with an update on the Feral Animals By-Law which passed in August 2021. This By-Law “prohibits citizens from feeding wildlife and feral cats and leaving food accessible to these animals or in a way that attracts them”.

The low number of complaints registered for 2022 indicates that the Feeding of Wildlife and Feral Animals By-Law No. 2021-93 has been successful in decreasing the number of feral cats in residential areas.

Short Term Rentals

The By-Law Enforcement Officer prepared a Short Term Rental 2023 Status Report which identified 3 potential options for managing Short Term Rentals (STR) in the Township. They include:

  1. Licensing Program – This option would require one full-time staff member to administer and enforce STR requirements for every 100 properties used for those purposes.
  2. Restrict STR – This option would require amending the Comprehensive Zoning By-Law to prohibit STRs and would only apply to new Short Term Rentals in the Township (not existing).
  3. Status Quo – Monitoring complaints and addressing through current mechanisms.

Staff recommends that By-Law Enforcement continues to monitor complaints and concerns surrounding Short Term Rentals and include that information in annual reporting.

Members of the public are reminded to contact the By-Law Officer with concerns or to report offences in order to track and identify problem areas. This can be done by calling the Municipal Office at 519-706-0235 or using our online portal to report the problem.

Municipal Modernization Program

The Treasury department presented a report on the Municipal Modernization Program (MMP). The MMP provides provincial funding for information technology solutions of modernizing municipal services. This third round of funding is specific to information technology solutions that will provide staff efficiencies.

Staff recommended using eligible project expenses for software solutions including electronic records management, budget software, timesheet management software and computerized maintenance and inspection system for public works.

The Municipal Modernization Implementation funding will provide 75% of the funding and the remaining 25% will be funded from the MMP Unconditional funding stream. Funding will cover the capital and implementation costs for these programs, and ongoing software costs will be incorporated into the operating budget.  

NWMO Near-Term Investment Funding Program

The Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) is offering its Near-Term Investment Funding Program to Significant Neighbouring Communities of which Huron-Kinloss is one. The Near-term Investment fund, totalling $2,000,000 over two years, is intended to be used over the 2023/2024 period. Eligible projects will be brought forward at the budget meeting for Council’s consideration and must meet certain criteria, including but not limited to sustainability, achievability, and benefitting the community at large.

Upcoming Meetings

The next Township of Huron-Kinloss Council Budget meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. on February 17th, 2023. This daytime meeting will be held in Council Chambers at the Municipal Office, 21 Queen Street in Ripley.

Subscribe to receive Meeting Highlights 

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more!

Contact Us

Township of Huron-Kinloss
21 Queen Street
P.O. Box 130
Ripley ON, N0G 2R0

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax : 519-395-4107

Subscribe to Our News

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.