Huron-Kinloss Community Septic Inspection Program 2023
Spring is here and with it all the chores that come with being a homeowner.
The Huron-Kinloss Community Septic Inspection Program helps to take care of one of the dirty jobs on your property. Every property with a septic system in the Township is required to have their system inspected once in an eight-year cycle or every five years if you’re within a Wellhead Protection Area.
Letters have gone out with the mail to let you know if you’re due to have our friendly inspector, Dave, come and visit you this season. Once you get your letter, call the Township Office at 519-395-3735 to schedule your appointment.
What should you expect during an inspection?
A one-hour time slot is booked for each inspection and here’s what you need to know:
- Please make sure your pets are inside or secured prior to and for the length of the inspection.
- Dave has identification with him and does not need to enter your home.
- Your system lids must be dug out if they’re buried, but don’t take the lids off, Dave will do that.
- You DO NOT have to have your system pumped for this inspection, but you can arrange to have it done after if you’d like.
- Dave does a visual inspection of the property and checks levels, filters, and general operation of the system.
You don’t have to be present for the inspection, but it’s a great idea to be there if you can as Dave can answer any questions you might have.
Will I get a bill for this inspection?
No, the program is funded by a flat rate per eligible property on your annual tax bill, so there is no fee charged at the time of inspection.
What happens after the inspection?
If you’re there for your inspection, Dave will let you know if he’s seen anything that needs attention. Usually it’s as simple as:
- It’s time to pump the system.
- The heavy toilet paper you’re using is causing a crust, so maybe consider a different brand.
- Rinse your filters once a year to help them keep going.
- Consider installing risers so you don’t have to dig out the lids.
Sometimes, something might need repair and you’ll need to connect with a contractor to get the work done.A few weeks after your inspection, you’ll receive a copy of the Septic Inspection. Report for your records. If you need a copy, you can submit a request online to get one.
Why is there a Septic Inspection Program?
This program is meant to help property owners learn about how their septic system works and how to maintain it. Through regular care, we decrease the threat to public health and the environment by identifying repairable issues instead of waiting for big problems that can contaminate soil, groundwater, and surface water.
For more information about the Source Protection policies and Wellhead Protection Areas, visit the Drinking Water Source Protection website for the Ausable Bayfield Maitland Valley Source Protection Region.
Call the Township Office at 519-395-3735 if you’re due for a septic inspection in 2023 and we’ll be happy to help book you an appointment. Visit www.huronkinloss.com/H-KCSI for plenty more information on the program.
Subscribe to Our News
Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.