Commissioner of Oaths

Commissioning of Oath services is available during regular office hours. This include affidavits, oaths and statutory declarations. Pension documents from other countries can also be commissioned however, the pensioner must be a Huron-Kinloss resident and the person performing the commissioning must have known the pensioner for a minimum of two years.

What is an Oath?

An oath is a solemn declaration of one's words by which a person signifies that he/she is bound in conscience to perform an act faithfully and truthfully. The oath is used to encourage if not to ensure that the truth be spoken.

What is an Affidavit?

An affidavit is a document containing statements that are verified by the swearing of an oath or by an affirmation. Affidavits are generally used for the purpose of establishing legal rights and may be required to attest to a certain fact or set of facts.

Documents involving out of Province matters, real estate, wills or foreign jurisdiction require the services of a notary/solicitor.

It is recommended that you contact us at 519-395-3735 to confirm that your document can be commissioned by the municipality.

The municipality does not provide Notary Public services.

We have the right to refuse commissioning services on any document.


The request for the Commissioner of Oaths service must be made by the same individual who will be taking the oath and signing the document. You must present one original piece of photo identification in the form of government-issued photo identification: i.e. a valid driver's license, a valid passport, which includes your address.

All documents to be commissioned must be signed in the presence of the Commissioner of Oaths.