Skip to main content Skip to footer

Animal Services

Animal control services are in place to ensure that residents with and without pets or livestock can enjoy our Township. The By-Law Enforcement Officer responds to animal control complaints, but it is important to note that we do not respond to calls about cats or wildlife. 

Dog ownership in Huron-Kinloss

Huron-Kinloss is a pet friendly community; however, there are a few things you need to know before you add a four-legged friend to your family. If you have any questions or need to report a complaint about a dog, please contact the By-Law Enforcement Officer or visit our Report a Problem web portal.

Dog licenses are valid for the calendar year must be renewed annually. Invoices are mailed to all dog owners in January. Dog tags are permanent, there is no need to purchase a new tag each year. Dog tags must be attached to your dog's collar at all times.

The cost for a dog license is:

  • $15.00 before March 1st
  • $25.00 after March 1st

Township of Huron Kinloss Dog Licence(s) can be purchased at:

  • The Huron-Kinloss Municipal office, 21 Queen St. Ripley
  • Lucknow Home Hardware, 626 Campbell St, Lucknow
  • Country Depot, 315 Hamilton Lane, Kincardine.

If you need to cancel a dog tag, please fill out the dog cancellation form. 

Dog licences are vital in helping with the safe and easy return of your pet. Dogs are required to be on a leash when on public property. Dogs found running at large, without a licence, will be impounded at the Township's designated Pound. Prior to picking up your dog, a fee must be paid at the municipal office as per the Consolidated Fees By-Law. You will also be required to pay for any boarding or veterinarian costs incurred during his/her stay. A dog licence will also be required prior to the release of the dog and a fine may also be issued.

Dog droppings contaminate beaches and other public spaces and pose serious health hazards to children playing nearby and to other persons and animals.

Let's work together to keep our public spaces clean by following these simple guidelines:

  • Clean up any feces left by your dog on public or private property
  • When you are out with your dog, carry a plastic bag
  • Pick up the droppings left by your dog using the bag
  • Place the bag in the nearest litter container and wash your hands as soon as possible

To report a complaint, you can contact the By-Law Enforcement Officer or visit the Report a Problem page.

All Dogs will be under the direct control of their owner at all times and on leash when on public property. If a dog is involved in a dog bite incident, it will be muzzled and/or leashed when outdoors.

Reporting a dog bite

All dog attacks or bites should be immediately reported to the By-Law Enforcement Officer at 519-395-3844.

The Province of Ontario does not allow residents to own, breed, abandon, transfer or import pit bulls. Training pit bulls to fight is also strictly prohibited. A pit bull can be defined as:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • American Pit Bull Terrier
  • A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to those of dogs referred to above.

If a report is made about a dog that looks like a pit bull, the owner must provide proof that it is not a pit bull. Reports can be made to the By-Law Enforcement Officer.

An off-leash dog park is available for public use at the Point Clark Community Centre. The dog park is self-policed but does have some rules to ensure the health and safety of the dogs and dog owners that use it. Rules are posted at the entrance to the dog park.

All dogs must have up-to-date vaccinations and a municipal dog tag. Puppies under 4 months old, dogs in heat, unneutered, sick or aggressive dogs are not permitted.

Please pick-up after your dog.

To report a problem please contact the Community Services Department.

Stray and Feral Cats of Huron-Kinloss

Indoor, stray, and feral cats coexist with us, sometimes welcomed, sometimes not. To deter them from your property, identify the cat type and choose the right strategy. Here's guidance for an effective deterrent approach.

There's a distinction between a stray neighborhood cat owned by a neighbor that occasionally wanders into your yard and a truly feral cat that does not have an owner or home. A wandering or stray outdoor pet may wear a collar and sometimes will be notably sociable with people. Feral cats are quite skittish around people and will have wilder behavior than a house cat.

The methods used to get rid of stray cats may differ, depending on if you're dealing with a true feral cat or just a wandering stray pet. For a straying cat that is not welcome on your property, please reach out to the owner to discuss possible solutions. 

Eliminate Food and Shelter

Cats gravitate toward areas that provide food as well as warm, dry cover where they can take shelter. By eliminating any potential food sources on your property, you can make your home less inviting. Under the Township of Huron-Kinloss Feeding of Wildlife and Feral Animals By-Law, a person is not permitted to leave food outside for wildlife or feral animals to eat. 

Trap-Neuter-Return program

Spraying and yowling are signs of un-fixed feral cats in your area. The best solution to decrease these nuisance habits is to participate in a local Trap-Neuter-Return program. 

Other Helpful Tips

  • Prevent cats from digging in your garden by covering the ground with rocks/pebbles, sharp mulch, eggshell shards, or a layer of chicken wire to which cats' paws are very sensitive.

  • Keep cats out from underneath porches or other structures that may provide cover by eliminating openings with wire mesh fencing.
  • Cats have very keen senses of smell and taste, and commercial repellents are available to discourage unwanted cats. Natural repellents to sprinkle on flowerbeds or gardens include moth balls, ammonia-soaked rags, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, citrus peels, coffee grounds, and citrus-based sprays. Reapply repellents after heavy rains or long periods for the best effectiveness.

  • Using scare tactics can discourage cats from visiting a yard regularly. Ultrasonic sirens, motion-activated sprinklers, and motion-activated lights can all be useful.

  • Working with neighbours can help. A feral cat's territory usually extends well beyond a single yard. Talk to neighbours about the problems with feral cats and encourage them to take similar steps to discourage unwelcome visitors. Neighbourhoods that work together generally have fewer problems with feral cats.

  • Employ multiple cat control solutions for the most effective defense against cats in your yard.

Wildlife in Huron-Kinloss

We share the Township with a number of wildlife species, many of them co-exist with us just fine. It is important to leave the wildlife alone whenever possible; however, there are sometimes when you might be concerned and want to make a report. The Government of Ontario Wildlife and Nature website is great for registered wildlife rehabilitator resources and for direction on who to contact for diseased and/or wildlife that is a public safety concern.  

What can you do if you find a sick, injured or abandoned wild animal?

  • Don't remove an animal from its natural habitat (the animal may not need assistance, and you could do more harm than good)
  • Check the animal periodically for 24-48 hours
  • Keep your distance

If you find an abandoned young animal, separated from adults or left on its own — keep cats and dogs away and limit noise.

An adult may not return if it is noisy or if predators or people are close by.

In Ontario, wildlife rehabilitators are authorized by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to provide temporary care to sick, injured and abandoned wildlife so it can be returned to the wild. Rehabilitators commit significant time and resources, and many solicit donations to assist with their work.

Every effort is made by wildlife rehabilitators to ensure wildlife in their care do not become tame.

To get help for a sick, injured or abandoned animal, you can contact:

If you come across sick or diseased wildlife and you suspect there is a public health risk (such as rabies or West Nile virus) contact the Grey Bruce health unit immediately.

If the animal is alive and there is a public safety issue, as directed by the Government of Ontario you are to contact the local police department.  The local police department for the Township of Huron-Kinloss is the South Bruce OPP at 1-888-310-1122.

Researchers believe the round goby is linked to outbreaks of botulism type E in Great Lakes fish and fish-eating birds. The disease is caused by a toxin that may be passed from zebra mussels, to goby, to birds, resulting in large die-offs of fish and birds. For more information about fish die-offs and Goby go to

Fish die-offs should be reported to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. There is a “Fish Die Off” hotline at 1-800-667-1940 and for more

information regarding dead animals or fish found on your property visit:

Kennel Licencing and inspections

When applying to operate a kennel in the Township of Huron-Kinloss, a zoning change to your property is required. Contact the Township's Building Department to see if your property is correctly zoned.

Kennel inspections

We inspect kennels during licence renewal every year with drop-in inspections throughout the year. Kennels found in violation of their approved application may face steep fines and/or have their licence revoked.


A poundkeeper is responsible to impound horse, bull, ox, cow, sheep, goat, pig or other cattle, geese, or other poultry found running at large, trespassing or doing damage to crops of fences.

For more information or to make a report, contact our By-Law Enforcement Officer.

Livestock Evaluator

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry or honeybees have been damaged by wildlife. This program is supported by Growing Forward 2, the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada.

If you have an injured or deceased livestock that you wish to get compensation for, follow these steps:

  • Contact the Township of Huron-Kinloss at 519-395-3844 to advise of the injured or deceased livestock
  • Do Not move the animal.
  • Preserve the site and the animal until the Livestock Evaluator is able to investigate
  • Take pictures of the scene and evidence of a predator

It can take up to 47 days to hear a response from Ontario Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) regarding your application.

Once your application is received, the Livestock Evaluator has 3 days to conduct an investigation and 10 days to submit their report to the Township. Upon receiving the Livestock Evaluators report, the Township has 7 business days to submit the application to OMAFRA.

The owner will be notified of OMAFRA's decision within 30 days of OMAFRA receiving the application from the Township. If their decision is not appealed by the owner, OMAFRA will notify the Township to issue the payment to the livestock owner.

The owner of the injured or deceased livestock can appeal OMAFRA's decision. The appeal must be made within 20 days of receiving OMAFRA's decision.

  • Compensation values will be higher for registered purebred cattle, sheep and goats. Documentation will be required.

  • Pregnant cattle, sheep and goats will be compensated at a higher value as well. Owners will need to provide breeding records for the predated animal.

  • Claims need to have a Premises ID number and a valid Farm Business Registration number, or one of the allowable exemptions for that claim to be eligible.

Contact Us

Township of Huron-Kinloss
21 Queen Street
P.O. Box 130
Ripley ON, N0G 2R0

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax : 519-395-4107

Subscribe to Our News

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.