Home and Property
Moving into a new home or looking to make improvements to your existing property? The Township of Huron-Kinloss offers services and information that can help you.
Building and renovating
You must apply for a building permit before starting work on a construction project. You will need a permit to build a deck, shed, fence, and many other projects. To see if your project needs a building permit, contact the Building department.
Putting in a new septic system?
New septic systems need to follow an application process before you start any installation.
Making changes to your property
If you want to make a change to your property, the Building department reviews the Zoning by-law. If the project meets the Zoning by-law requirements, you can get a building permit.
Water Well Improvement Program
The SVCA and NWMO have partnered to offer the Water Well Improvement Program. This program provides financial support for landowners to help protect groundwater. The funding program is a cost-sharing program to decommission or upgrade private wells. The program is being facilitated through the SVCA, please contact them for more information about the program.
We pride ourselves in our beautiful community. To make sure it stays this way, we have a Property Standards By-Law that sets standards for all properties in our community. You should maintain your properties according to the By-Law.
Report an issue
If you feel a property needs repair, you can report it to the By-Law Enforcement Officer. You can make a complaint, by reporting a problem online.
What you need to know:
- If your property address ends in 0,2,4,6 or 8, you can water your lawn or garden on calendar days that end in 0,2,4,6 or 8.
- If your property address ends in 1,3,5,7 or 9, you can water your lawn or garden on calendar days that end in 1,3,5,7 or 9.
- You can water lawns between the hours of 6:00AM to 9:00AM and 6:00PM to 9:00PM except for properties that have automatic sprinkler systems.
- If you own an automatic sprinkler system, please schedule your lawn and garden watering between 4:00AM to 7:00AM.
- If you have newly planted lawns, this by-law does not apply for the first 30 days after planting.
We will issue a total ban on lawn and garden watering if the demands on the water supply are too high or there is an extreme drought. For more information or if you have questions about this By-Law contact our By-Law Enforcement Office at 519-395-3735.
Making a complaint
To make a complaint, you can Report a Problem online or contact the By-Law Enforcement Officer at 519-395-3735.
- areas from erosion and water run-off
- the natural environment
- wildlife habitats
The area protected, known as “the bluff”, spans from Amberley Rd. to Saratoga Road along the Lake Huron Shoreline (west of Lake Range Rd and Penetangore Row S.). The Tree Preservation By-Law Maps are a great resource for property owners in that area.
The Public Works Department looks after roads and sidewalks in the Township and conducts our winter maintenance. They remove snow from designated walkways and sidewalks.
Report a problem
To report an issue on a road or sidewalk or a streetlight that is not working, you can Report a Problem online.
We allow street parking on many Township roads. Before you park on any roadway, please review the Traffic and Parking By-Law rules:
- Always follow no parking signs
- Do not park your vehicle over a sidewalk or curb
- Do not park within 3 metres (10 feet) of a fire hydrant
- Do not park within 9 metres (30 feet) of an intersection
- Do not block traffic, delivery lanes, or driveways
- Overnight parking is not allowed in any municipal parking lots
- Overnight parking is not allowed on any roads from November 1st to April 30th
Subscribe to Our News
Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.