Skip to main content Skip to footer

Home and Property

Moving into a new home or looking to make improvements to your existing property? The Township of Huron-Kinloss offers services and information that can help you.

Building and renovating

You must apply for a building permit before starting work on a construction project. You will need a permit to build a deck, shed, fence, and many other projects. To see if your project needs a building permit, contact the Building department.

All swimming pools in the Township must have a fence that is at least 5 feet or 60 inches tall. To find out everything you need to know about Swimming Pool Fences, check out the Swimming Pool Fence By-Law. If you have questions, contact our Building and Planning Department at 519-395-3735.

If you need a house number, please contact the Public Works Department at 519-395-3735.

Your property may have a septic system if municipal sewers are not available in your area. Septic Systems need an inspection every eight years, sometimes more often. Our Septic Inspection Program helps to protect our ground water system from toxins that might leak out of a sewage system. If you have questions about your sewage system, please call 519-395-3735.

Putting in a new septic system?

New septic systems need to follow an application process before you start any installation.

Zoning controls how land in Huron-Kinloss can be developed. This includes where you can build on your property and how you can use buildings.

Making changes to your property

If you want to make a change to your property, the Building department reviews the Zoning by-law. If the project meets the Zoning by-law requirements, you can get a building permit.

Before you build a driveway from the road onto your property, you will need to get an entrance permit. If you are building a driveway from a County-owned road, you will need to contact Bruce County. If you are building a driveway from a Township road, contact the Public Works Department at 519-395-3735.

Water Well Improvement Program

The SVCA and NWMO have partnered to offer the Water Well Improvement Program. This program provides financial support for landowners to help protect groundwater. The funding program is a cost-sharing program to decommission or upgrade private wells. The program is being facilitated through the SVCA, please contact them for more information about the program. 

Your property

We pride ourselves in our beautiful community. To make sure it stays this way, we have a Property Standards By-Law that sets standards for all properties in our community. You should maintain your properties according to the By-Law.

Report an issue

If you feel a property needs repair, you can report it to the By-Law Enforcement Officer. You can make a complaint, by reporting a problem online.

During hot weather, the demand for water increases. To make sure there is enough water, the Township has lawn watering rules passed by by-law.

What you need to know:

  • If your property address ends in 0,2,4,6 or 8, you can water your lawn or garden on calendar days that end in 0,2,4,6 or 8.
  • If your property address ends in 1,3,5,7 or 9, you can water your lawn or garden on calendar days that end in 1,3,5,7 or 9.
  • You can water lawns between the hours of 6:00AM to 9:00AM and 6:00PM to 9:00PM except for properties that have automatic sprinkler systems.
  • If you own an automatic sprinkler system, please schedule your lawn and garden watering between 4:00AM to 7:00AM.
  • If you have newly planted lawns, this by-law does not apply for the first 30 days after planting.

We will issue a total ban on lawn and garden watering if the demands on the water supply are too high or there is an extreme drought. For more information or if you have questions about this By-Law contact our By-Law Enforcement Office at 519-395-3735.

You must cut grass and weeds so they do not grow to a height of 20cm or higher. When grass and weeds become higher than 20cm, a By-Law Enforcement Officer can issue orders requiring residents to cut grass and weeds.

Making a complaint

To make a complaint, you can Report a Problem online or contact the By-Law Enforcement Officer at 519-395-3735.

If you are having an issue with a fence that divides your property from your neighbours, we may be able to help. We can call a Fenceviewer to review the issue and help find a solution. Please contact the Clerk's Department at 519-395-3735 for more information.

Certain areas in the Township are protected by the Tree Preservation By-Law, which protects:
  • areas from erosion and water run-off
  • the natural environment
  • wildlife habitats

The area protected, known as “the bluff”, spans from Amberley Rd. to Saratoga Road along the Lake Huron Shoreline (west of Lake Range Rd and Penetangore Row S.). The Tree Preservation By-Law Maps are a great resource for property owners in that area.

Bruce Area Solid Waste Recycling provides curbside garbage and recycling pick-up in Huron-Kinloss. You can sign up for garbage and recycling reminders on their website. For more information or to report a missed pick up, please call 1-800-794-9770.

Your street

The Public Works Department looks after roads and sidewalks in the Township and conducts our winter maintenance. They remove snow from designated walkways and sidewalks.

Report a problem

To report an issue on a road or sidewalk or a streetlight that is not working, you can Report a Problem online.

Street parking

We allow street parking on many Township roads. Before you park on any roadway, please review the Traffic and Parking By-Law rules:

  • Always follow no parking signs
  • Do not park your vehicle over a sidewalk or curb
  • Do not park within 3 metres (10 feet) of a fire hydrant
  • Do not park within 9 metres (30 feet) of an intersection
  • Do not block traffic, delivery lanes, or driveways
  • Overnight parking is not allowed in any municipal parking lots
  • Overnight parking is not allowed on any roads from November 1st to April 30th

Contact Us

Township of Huron-Kinloss
21 Queen Street
P.O. Box 130
Ripley ON, N0G 2R0

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax : 519-395-4107

Subscribe to Our News

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.