Skip to main content Skip to footer

Golf Car Pilot Project

On June 3, 2020  the Ministry of Transportation introduced a new pilot project for golf carts legally referred to as “golf cars”. The pilot project under Ontario Regulation "407/21 Pilot Project – Golf Cars" sets out the broad regulatory framework to allow golf cars on roads on Pelee Island and in Huron-Kinloss and includes operator and vehicle requirements. 

The pilot is intended to assess these vehicles over a period of ten years in order to examine their ability to safely integrate with other vehicle types and determine whether existing rules of the road are adequate. 

On August 16, 2021 Township of Huron-Kinloss Council passed By-Law No. 2021-90 Regulating the Use of Golf Cars in the Township of Huron-Kinloss. 

What do I need to do to my Golf Car to participate in the pilot project?

A Golf Car can be electric or gas powered and must have:
• Two to six seats
• Steering wheel
• Rear-view mirror(s)
• Horn
• Good-quality tires
• Daytime running lights (always on)
• Turn signals
• Brake lights
• Reflectors
• Slow-moving vehicle sign on back
• If there are factory-installed seat belts, they must be used by driver and all passengers
• Registration sticker with current validation sticker
• Service brakes and parking or emergency brake

Do I need a special permit or licence to use a Golf Car in Huron-Kinloss?
Yes, you need to be registered in the Township of Huron-Kinloss Pilot Project and have a Registration Sticker with current Validation Sticker. You are also required to have a valid A, B, C, D, E, F or G (full) Ontario driver’s licence (or out-of-province equivalent).

Where do I go to register my Golf Car?
You can go to the Township of Huron-Kinloss Municipal Office at 21 Queen Street in Ripley, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; or online at

Is there a cost to registering my Golf Car?
Yes, there is an annual fee of $50.00 due when submitting your registration form. You will receive both a Registration Sticker and a Validation Sticker the first time you register in the pilot project. Each year after that, when you renew your registration, you will receive a new Validation Sticker for that year. Renewal invoices will be automatically mailed out.

Where do I display the Registration and Validation Stickers?
Your Registration Sticker should always be visible and mounted directly to the driver’s side front panel of the Golf Car. The Validation Sticker should be mounted in the upper right-hand corner of the registration sticker each year.

Can I drive on all the roads in the Township?
Roads must be posted at 50 km/hr and under the jurisdiction of the Township of Huron-Kinloss. You are not permitted to drive on any County Roads (Bruce Road 1, Bruce Road 7, Bruce Road 86 and Campbell Street in Lucknow) or any shared boundary roads (Saratoga Road, Ashfield/Huron Boundary.

Do I have to be a Huron-Kinloss resident to participate in the pilot project?
No. You can register to participate and bring your Golf Car into the Township according to regulations.

What about intersections?
You are permitted to drive through an intersection on a highway greater than 50 km/hr but not more than 80 km/hr if it is controlled by a stop sign or other traffic control device.

Can I let others use my Golf Car?
Yes. You are responsible for ensuring any driver is permitted to use a Golf Car and that they are aware of the regulations.

Are there any rules for passengers?
Yes. You must be 8 years of age or older to be a passenger. One passenger per seat and if there are factory-installed seatbelts, they must be used by all passengers and the driver.

Do I have to have insurance for my Golf Car?
Car insurance, licence plates, and provincial vehicle registration are not required under the pilot project.
We recommend you speak with your insurance representative with respect to your coverage (physical and liability) with participation in this project.

Can I use my Golf Car all year round?
No. The usage period is from April 1st to November 30th of the year. This is specified in the Ontario Regulation 407/21: Pilot Project – Golf Car.

Is there a speed limit for Golf Cars?
Yes. Although permitted on Township roads with speed limits of 50 km/h, Golf Cars must not be capable of going 32 km/h or faster on a level surface.

Can I drive my Golf Car on the sidewalk?
No. Golf Cars are not permitted on sidewalks and must operate in the lane furthest to the right when on the road, unless preparing to make a left turn.

Will there be designated parking for Golf Cars?
There are no parking spaces exclusively for Golf Cars. They are subject to the same traffic and parking laws as any other vehicle in Huron-Kinloss.

There’s been an accident involving a Golf Car, who do I call?
If there has been an accident, call 9-1-1.

I have a complaint about a Golf Car, who do I call?
For concerns about operation and safety, you can contact the South Bruce O.P.P. non-emergency line at 1-888-310-1122, use our Report a Problem web portal at, or contact our By-Law Enforcement Officer at 519-395-3844.

If your question is not on this list or you have any questions or general concerns regarding the Huron-Kinloss Golf Car Pilot Project, please contact us:
• Golf Car Comment Page at
• E-mail:
• Phone: 519-395-3735
• Visit us: Township of Huron-Kinloss Municipal Office at 21 Queen Street, Ripley

Any complaints are to be reported to the O.P.P. at the time of the offence if possible.

South Bruce O.P.P. non-emergency line 1-888-310-1122

Township of Huron-Kinloss By-Law Enforcement Officer 519-395-3844

Report a Problem web portal at

Emergency call 9-1-1

Contact Us

Township of Huron-Kinloss
21 Queen Street
P.O. Box 130
Ripley ON, N0G 2R0

Phone: 519-395-3735
Fax : 519-395-4107

Subscribe to Our News

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.