Skip to main content Skip to footer


The Chief Building Official is the Zoning By-law Administrator for the Township.

Zoning by-laws are a set of regulations governing land uses that implement the policies in the Official Plan.

  • A Zoning by-law contains specific requirements that provides a way of managing land use and future development that is legally enforceable.

  • It also protects property owners from conflicting land uses.

  • Zoning by-laws cover such items as the use of land, where buildings and other structures may be located, the types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used, lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, landscape and buffer requirements, building heights and setbacks from property lines.

  • Zoning by-laws are regulated by Section 34 of the Ontario Planning Act.

  • Zoning by-law maps are a great resource if you have questions about your property.

Zoning By-law Amendments and Applications

Zoning amendments provide a way to change zoning regulations for individual properties. The County of Bruce Planning Department provides administrative services to the municipality. To inquire about zoning by-law amendment applications, please contact a member of the County of Bruce Planning Department at 519-881-1782.


A land severance, also referred to as a consent, is the authorized separation of a piece of land to form two new properties. Consent to sever is required if a portion of land is to be sold, mortgaged, charged or is to form part of an agreement lasting more than 21 years. In addition to the division of land, the registration of rights-of-way, easements and any changes to existing property boundaries requires consent approval.

Land severance approval is required to ensure that:

  • consents are considered within an established community planning framework

  • new lots and new land uses do not conflict with the overall planning goals and policies of existing communities, and

  • consideration is given to the effect of the division of land on the site, on the neighbouring lands, and on the community as a whole.

To inquire about minor variances or land severance, please contact the County of Bruce Planning Department at 519-881-1782.

Minor Variances

The Township of Huron Kinloss Zoning By-law, as amended, provides regulations for the use of land and construction of buildings. It is difficult for By-law provisions to take into account all circumstances such as lot size, lot shapes or yard setbacks, that may affect the development of a particular property. In such cases, the property owner may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance to the Zoning By-law.

The Committee of Adjustment is a Council-appointed committee regulated by Section 45 of the Ontario Planning Act. All members of Council comprise the Committee of Adjustment. The Committee of Adjustment will review the site specific circumstances regarding each application and then considers the following questions concerning an application before reaching a decision:

  • Is the variance minor in nature?

  • Is the general intent and purposes of the Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw maintained?

  • Is it desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure?

To inquire about minor variances or land severance, please contact the County of Bruce Planning Department at 519-881-1782

Subscribe to Our News

Stay up to date on the Township's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our news.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.